Introduction to me

My name is Shayam Utting, 9163, and I am in group 1 with Amber Mota, 9114, and Alistair Price, 9137.

To navigate your way around my blog, please use the labels below; A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


'Trip Switch' by Come What May

The outside of our album cover

The outside of our album cover
Front of Our Digipak

Digipak

Digipak
The Inside of Our Digipak
Our website, please click on it to access.

Sunday 4 October 2015

R&P Post 12: Artists/bands that have influenced my ideas

I have predominantly researched and analysed alternative and indie rock bands, however almost all the mixed gender rock bands I could find had the female as the singer but I still think their styles are very influential.

Paramore:

I think that our band should be dressed similarly - in dark colours but I really like the red contrast so perhaps we could incorporate this into our colour scheme and attire. However, I think that if we are to include sex appeal we should try to do it subtly so that it is not the focus of our band's appeal. We will also include small generic signifiers such as tattoos on the arm or an earring for the drummer. This will help our band stand out and allow our audience to easily identify with them as our TA often like to stand out from the crowd, hence their interest in rock music. 

Tonight Alive:

I really like the gender equality and post-feminist aspect that Tonight Alive convey and would like to do something similar with our band by not over-sexualising either genders and having them portrayed as equals through our promo shots and album cover. 

A Loss for Words:

The juxtaposition between these two shots have inspired me to make sure that we include fun aspects of our bands, for example we could place photos of us pulling faces and laughing in our gallery on the website. This will help to create a bond and 'personal relationship' between the TA and band, allowing them to get to know and like the band - thus they will buy more of our products. 

Sound..

Almost all of the rock bands I have researched have a similar sound and use similar instruments often including; guitar, bass, drums and a singer. 


The singer is usually at the fore-front of their image but we are considering have a 4 member boy/girl group with the male as the face of the band but the females are also represented as equal to them, like Tonight Alive have done. 

Performance..

The bands I have looked at for their performance often focused greatly on the singer but had many cut aways to the other band members, more so than in pop videos as in rock I found that more attention is given to the instruments. The instruments are used as symbols and shots of them are conventions of the genre.

Against the Current used a flickering effect in their music video and their style was very monotone as the background is white whereas their attire and isntruments are black. I really like this monotone effect and would like to use it in my own music video.


Pierce the Veil often cuts from a group shot to the lead singer and then to each of the other members in turn and the layout of their setup creates symmetry within the band as both guitarists are on either side of the singer with the drummer central but behind them all. I would like to create this same effect with our band but using gender also so that the two females are on either sides of the frontman. 



No comments:

Post a Comment