Introduction to me

My name is Shayam Utting, 9163, and I am in group 1 with Amber Mota, 9114, and Alistair Price, 9137.

To navigate your way around my blog, please use the labels below; A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


'Trip Switch' by Come What May

The outside of our album cover

The outside of our album cover
Front of Our Digipak

Digipak

Digipak
The Inside of Our Digipak
Our website, please click on it to access.

Sunday 4 October 2015

R&P Post 13: Influences and inspiration from art, fashion and culture

I have been influenced by many different sources and time periods.

Artistic Director -  Wes Anderson:
I really like Wes Anderson's artistic style used his films via his use of symmetry. I would like to use this in my music video to make it very conceptual and to symbollise aspects of our video. For example, with the paper I would like the piles to be symmetrical and move in time with one another.

Classical vs Modern rock:


The sounds of rock music are still vaguely similar, however the content within the lyrics has changed greatly and many critics, such as Kalista Ailae, suggest that the lyrics are now too hateful and angry. 

I personally really like modern rock and think it is perhaps a bit of a 'State of the Culture'. In this current day and age, the culture is all about rebelling against authority and being an individual which means that modern rock will never die out so long as the lyrics and music are always relevant. I will therefore make sure that we exploit the meaning behind the lyrics of the song we choose and develop them visually. Following Stuart Hall's theory, this will leave our music video open to multiple interpretations and allows it to gratify our audience in a variety of ways. 

Fashion and style:
Looking back at older rock artists, particularly bands like Kiss, I have realised they were a lot more expressive with themselves. 
Whereas bands like All Time Low are a lot more ordinairy and relatable to their target audience of younger teenagers. 
I would like my band to be slightly edgier than All Time Low but I really like their casual, nonchalent aura. David Gauntlett says that 'identity is seen as more fluid and transformable than ever before' which allows us to experiment with our band's image and characteristics. 

Film Noir:
Film Noir influenced me drastically as I had researched it in detail for my AS project and thought it could be used again to create an eerie, cool music video.
Beat The Devil directed by John
Huston
Goodwin stated that media texts often have intertextual references and so I decided to look into the most common and easily-identifiable conventions of film noir. The black & white style seemed to be the most important aspect of film noir and I really like how Directors are able to enhance the message behind their films by decreasing the saturation and having little to no colour.  

1 comment: