Introduction to me

My name is Shayam Utting, 9163, and I am in group 1 with Amber Mota, 9114, and Alistair Price, 9137.

To navigate your way around my blog, please use the labels below; A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


'Trip Switch' by Come What May

The outside of our album cover

The outside of our album cover
Front of Our Digipak

Digipak

Digipak
The Inside of Our Digipak
Our website, please click on it to access.

Tuesday 15 September 2015

R&P Post 6: Current trends in popular music

I have investigated the current music scene from a business and commercial perspective to help support the decisions I will have to make when targeting my audience and creating my music video.


By studying the UK charts I can clearly see that pop is the dominant genre as all of the above artists/bands are pop artists. They are also all under big label names such as Universal and Atlantic-institutions which predominantly produce pop music. 

This led me to research the pop genre in more detail and I found  many articles on pop overtaking rock.


Nonetheless, rock sales remained close behind, with the aid of Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and AC/DC all featuring in the 50 albums of the year by sales. Rock music's share of singles market grew to 24.3%, its highest in four years.

BPI's outgoing head of PR, Lynne McDowell, said: "The UK has a rich and diverse cultural heritage and we can be proud of the cross-genre music royalty that we have produced down through the decades to this very day." 

From my research I have been able to conclude that rock fans tend to buy into the album or stream music, as opposed to buying the single. 

No comments:

Post a Comment